Monday, February 4, 2013

It's Been A Wonderful Year


So……I’ve been MIA in the blogging world.  Blogging has crossed my mind many times….but when I get home from the sites, I am just too tired……I think I am still catching up on sleep from last Spring!

Today, is the 1 year Anniversary of this blog….the 1 year anniversary of my first day on the job…with that being said, I just had to blog!

This year has truly been amazing!  Let's recap the events from the last 12 months that I don’t think I will ever forget!

February 2012
-       It all began!
-       Meetings
-       Found my way around campus
-       Found my way to the schools
-       Hiring Staff
-       Created a schedule (round 1)
-       Ordered supplies
-       Loved my job

March 2012
-       Enrollment forms were sent home
-       Next day received notice waiting lists were being started
-       conference - learned I can’t buy land and I can’t buy a car
-       became overwhelmed – moved some of my savings to my checking account to purchase additional sticks of deodorant...
-       Kick-Off Reception
-       Day 1 of the academy
-       Dodged hot dogs
-       Loved my job
-       Creatied a schedule (round 2)
-       Sang “Wheels on the Bus” with 20 K – 2 graders while we rode the bus home.
-       Discovered that “Any Key” will work

April
-       Began to make rounds and visit all sites
-       Realized how much I did not like buses
-       Loved my job

May
-       Phase 1 ended
-       Loved my job
-       Was in a major funk – The “go…go….go…” that I had become accustomed to over the past few months came to a screeching hault….the campus was desolate....


June
-       Funk disappeared
-       Moved to a new office
-       Carpe Diem Academy supplies were given a home
-       Loved my job
-       Leveled library was purchased and delivered (all 5 skids of boxes)
-       Attended an AmAzInG conference in Baltimore
July
-       Summer Phase began
-       3 sites running
-       Random meltdown….but……still loved my job

August
-       Summer phase ended
-       Campus became alive, again
-       Loved my job
-       Year 2 sites were confirmed
-       Enrollment forms were delivered
-       Staff trainings began

September
-       Phase 2 began
-       4 sites this time
-       Loved my job

October
-       Loved my job
-       Received funding for healthy snacks from Erie Community Foundation
-       Was amazed (and still am) with how smoothly the sites were running

November
-       Very short month
-       Loved my job

December
-       Applied for funding in collaboration with GEYSO through ECGRA for violin instruction.
-       Loved my job
-       Spent the majority of my time watching votes being tallied
-       Secured 2nd place and violin lessons would soon be added to the Carpe Diem Academy
-       Accepted to present at a national conference in April
-       First Advisory Board meeting



January
-       Observed students learning to play the violin
-       Realized how far we have come in a year
-       Loved my job
-       Began spending more time in office during Academy hours to begin research


So far, this has been one incredible journey! Would I do it all over – absolutely!! As much as I am looking forward to what the future holds for the Mercyhurst University Carpe Diem Academy, I am hopeful the present will slow down just a bit in order to truly comprehend the impact The Academy is having on each student. 

The first year has been amazing and I thank you for all your support! Here is to Year 2!!

Carpe Diem!
- Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment