Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Gaining Focus


Sometimes losing something makes you realize how blessed you truly are. It was about a week ago, that I lost my debit card. I immediately cancelled it and checked to make sure the charges were none other than my own. As I processed the fact that my debit card was stolen and being one to never carry cash, I had to stop and think how the heck I was going to be able to make any purchases! The good old-fashioned act of walking into a bank and taking money out dawned on me a short time later!
By the time Sunday arrived, I had about $27.00 in cash, left.  As I walked into Target, I had a list of things I needed and saw a few things that I wanted. The more we have, the more we want – it’s a typical characteristic.…..however, with only $27.00, I had to focus on the necessities.

That evening, I got thinking….Was I able to survive for the time being with only $27.00…absolutely. Then I started thinking about the students….for some, their needs are not being met but my wants are…..just doesn’t seem fair.  What I was able to purchase with the $27.00 was enough for me to be able to stay clean!

We may not be able to offer the students  at The Academy, gold, but we are able to offer them a glimmer of hope. A peanut butter and jelly sandwhich that will put an end to their hunger pains for the time being, a word of praise to end their sense of failure, a smile to encourage them to succeed.

The $27.00 may not have given me all that I wanted, but it helped me realize that I have everything that I need and so much more!

Carpe Diem!

-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment